What are the steps I need to take to obtain a food establishment license?

First, you will need to contact the building and/or financial departments for your particular jurisdiction to obtain business and occupancy permits. If you are operating in unincorporated St. Charles County, you may visit the Community Development and Finance department pages of the county’s website.

Next, obtain a license application and Code Book from the Division of Environmental Health and Protection, which will explain all of the ordinances and requirements for food establishments within St. Charles County. Please note: there may be fees required to be submitted with your completed application. If you have questions regarding the Code or the application process, please call us at 636.949.1800.

The application forms may ask for the following information:

  • The business’ Missouri State Sales Tax Identification Number
  • The name, address and telephone number of the establishment
  • The name, address and telephone number of the owner or corporation
  • A copy of the floor plan, equipment schedule and other information about your establishment

Lastly, after receiving approval to construct the establishment, you must contact the division approximately one week prior to the date you wish to open — so that a member of our staff may complete the opening inspection. Failure to schedule this inspection without adequate time may result in unnecessary delays or last-minute changes to the facility.

Show All Answers

1. Who needs to get a food establishment license in St. Charles County?
2. What are the steps I need to take to obtain a food establishment license?
3. I am purchasing an existing, licensed establishment. What will I need to do?
4. How often do food service inspections take place?
5. Are inspections announced and scheduled in advance, or are they unannounced?
6. What is a food safety certification course, and where can I take this?
7. What documents do I need to have on display during the year and for my inspection?
8. What if I have a question about my inspection?
9. Are food service inspection reports made public?
10. I wish to remodel my establishment. Do I need to contact the department?
11. I am selling an existing, licensed establishment. What do I need to do?
12. What is a Frozen Dessert License, and where can I obtain this?
13. What if my establishment wishes to serve liquor? What must be done?