Sept. 27, 2017
Contact: Nancy Lee Gomer, Marketing Coordinator, 636-949-7535, or 636-795-1137, firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Charles County, Missouri– Enjoy concerts in the park, hayrides, festivals and more this season in your favorite St. Charles County park during the month of October! The Parks Department offers a variety of programs and activities for all ages and interests.
- Bring the family out for our Friday Night Public Stargazing at Broemmelsiek Park near Defiance and discover constellations and stars through complex telescopes. The Astronomical Society of Eastern Missouri (ASEM) hosts these educational stargazing programs in the park’s Astronomy Viewing Area. For more information, visit www.asemonline.org or call the Parks Department at 636-949-7535.
- Ride with us on an old-fashioned hayride through Broemmelsiek Park in Defiance on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings now through Nov. 5. Groups of 20 can reserve a tractor-pulled hay wagon for a
45-minute ride through prairies and tree-lined fields in the park. After the ride, they can sit around a glowing campfire for an hour and are welcome to bring treats to roast. Advanced reservations are required by calling the Parks Department at 636-949-7535. The cost is $125 per wagon. Hayrides may be reserved for 6, 7, and 8 p.m. on Fridays and 5, 6, 7, and 8 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Enjoy live entertainment from 6-8:30 p.m., Oct. 4, at the Concerts in the Park at the Youth Activity Park in Dardenne Prairie. Bring a blanket or a lawn chair and relax with the tunes of The Anita Rosamond Duo. Picnic baskets are welcome, however, no alcohol or glass containers are allowed into the park. A concession stand is open during concerts. For more information, call the park at 636-561-4964.
- Preschoolers learn through the lens of nature at our Little Explorer Nature Program scheduled the first Thursday of each month through December. Bring your adventurous tots to Broemmelsiek Park near Defiance from 10-11 a.m. for a short hike, fun activities, story time and snack. Your little explorer will experience a different theme each time! Cost of the program is $3 and pre-registration is suggested. To make a reservation, all 636-949-7535 or visit www.stccparks.org.
- Welcome in autumn at our Fall Harvest Festival from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 7, at Broemmelsiek Park near Defiance. Enjoy music, crafts, hayrides, historic tractor demos, apple butter making, wood carving demos, farm fresh produce and plant sales, and more! Call the Parks Department at 636-949-7535 for more information.
- Experience our regional parks system after hours from 6:30-8:30 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 7, at our Sunset Family Dog Walk. Bring the family, a flashlight and your furry friend to Towne Park near Wentzville for a guided walk through the park. A $2 per family fee benefits the St. Charles County Pet Adoption Center. Pre-registration is required. Call 636-949-7535 or visit us online to register!
- Grab your bike, a light and hit the trails at night! Join Gateway Off-Road Cyclists (GORC) and St. Louis Area Mountain Bikers (SLAMB) for free Friday Night Mountain Bike Rides in our parks. There are two rides to choose from this month: 6:30 p.m., Oct. 13 at Broemmelsiek Park near Wentzville; and
6:30 p.m., Oct. 27 at Matson Hill Park near Defiance. Riders must wear a helmet and have a 600 lumen light to experience park trails after hours. Register online at www.stccparks.org.
- Grab your blankets and chairs and join us at 7 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 14, for the free Halloween movie “Hotel Transylvania” at shelter #3 in Klondike Park near Augusta. This animated classic is perfect for all ages and is a great activity for families camping in the park, or those just dropping by! Guests can bring their own food and beverages, but no glass, please. Call 636-949-7535 for more information.
- Individual families and small groups can join in the fun of a Hayride Hoedown, Saturday, Oct. 21, at Broemmelsiek Park near Defiance! Experience a 45-minute wagon ride through the park, along with a light dinner, s'mores, and the foot-stomping, knee-slapping performance of Babaloo, a one-man musical comedy act suitable for all ages. Cost is $10.50 per person. Pre-registration required. Choose from a 6, 6:45, or 7:30 hay wagon departure.
- Experience Spirits of the Past as you walk through lantern-lit paths from 6 - 10:30 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 21, at The Historic Daniel Boone Home near Defiance. Enjoy hot apple cider as you listen to tales and stories from the 1800s, and learn why townspeople were so superstitious and cautious, especially at night! If you dare, listen to murder ballads in the Old Peace Chapel and the eerie Legend of Sleepy Hollow by renowned story teller, Anne Williams. This family-friendly event is a great alternative to traditional Halloween celebrations and is recommended for children 7-years of age and older. Admission is $6 in advance and $10 at the door. Due to the limited number of tickets available, advance registration is recommended. For more information or to make a reservation, call the park at 636-798-2005 or visit www.stccparks.org.
- Experience an afternoon adventure hiking through Klondike Park near Augusta, at 4:30 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 22. While exploring the vast natural surface trails, look for signs of wildlife and identify local flora, then stop to admire a beautiful sunset overlooking the Missouri River Valley. Hiking distances range from 2 to 5 miles and are at a casual pace. Preregistration is requested. Call 636-949-7535 or visit www.stccparks.org to register.
- Let’s get crafty from 10-11:30 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 28 at Broemmelsiek Park near Defiance. Craftapalooza! is perfect for the camp-loving, crafty child! Children ages 6-12 tie-dye a bandana, make friendship bracelets, and create nature crafts during the session! Cost is $5 per child. Pre-registration is required. Call 636-949-7535 or visit us online at www.stccparks.org to reserve your spot!
- Children ages 7-12 discover nature and the outdoors at our new half-day Nature Mini Camp, from 1-4 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 28, at Broemmelsiek Park near Defiance. Children learn about the environment, prairies, trials and waterways through nature-themed games, crafts and activities. Cost is $10 per child and pre-registration is required. To register, call 636-949-7535 or visit www.stccparks.org.
- Creepy creatures lurk around every corner at the Night of Fright Haunted House from 6 p.m. – midnight on Friday, Oct. 27 and Saturday, Oct. 28 at the Youth Activity Park in Dardenne Prairie. This scary place is a maze of haunted rooms filled with frightful scenes and is designed to entertain children and adults. Admission to the haunted attraction is $5. For more information, call the park at 636-561-4964.
For more information on these and other events, contact the St. Charles County Parks & Recreation Department at 636-949-7535 or visit www.stccparks.org.