June 2, 2015
Contact: Colene McEntee, Public Affairs Coordinator, 636-949-1864, firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Charles County, Missouri – At the June 8 St. Charles County Council meeting, representatives from the Employer Support of Guard and Reserve (ESGR) and Show-Me Heroes will present pledges of support to St. Charles County Government for commitment to supporting and hiring veterans as well as members of the National Guard and Reserve.
“St. Charles County Government is proud to commit to pledge our support to honor the sacrifice and service of our Veterans and National Guard and Reserve members,” said Ehlmann. “I encourage other municipalities, organizations and businesses to make these pledges, as well.”
Dave Wooley, St. Louis area Chair for ESGR, will present the ESGR Statement of Support, and Jerry Studstill, Veterans Employment Representative from the American Job Center, will present the Show-Me Heroes Pledge of Support to Missouri Veterans.
Employers signing the ESGR’s Statement of Support pledge to:
• Recognize, honor and enforce the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA).
• Provide managers and supervisors with the tools they need to effectively manage those employees who serve in the Guard and Reserve.
• Appreciate the values, leadership and unique skills service members bring to the workforce and will encourage opportunities to employ Guardsmen, Reservists, and Veterans.
• Continually recognize and support the United States’ Service members and their families in peace, in crisis, and in war.
In signing the Show-Me Heroes Pledge of Support, employers pledge to:
• Recognize the benefits and value the training and experience that military Veterans and members of the National Guard and Reserve bring to the workplace.
• Reach out to Missouri’s Veterans and members of the National Guard and Reserve in order to employ excellence in Missouri’s workforce.
• Take full advantage of Show-Me Heroes to effectively match qualified Veterans and National Guard and Reserve job seekers with appropriate job openings.
To learn more about ESGR and Show-Me Heroes, visit http://www.esgr.mil, and http://showmeheroes.mo.gov.
These pledges come nearly a year after County Executive Ehlmann requested a bill to establish a Veterans Best Practices Working Group as well a position of Veteran Coordination and Recruitment in St. Charles County Government. The bill was sponsored by Council Members Mike Elam, District 3, and Dave Hammond, District 4, both Veterans, and was passed by the County Council.
The Veterans Best Practices Working Group started meeting in October 2014 and is comprised of appointed St. Charles County employees who are veterans of the United States Armed Services, as well as directors or representatives of various departments. The group is charged with developing best practices around several goals, which include establishing a link with key community veteran support groups, a relationship with Scott Air Force Base and Fort Leonard Wood, and a presence at military job and recruiting fairs. In addition, the group is charged with creating a program involving current employees who are veterans to mentor new veteran employees and to act as an advisory group to ensure that benefits and resources are made known to County employees.
In March 2015, Frank Smith started as the Human Resource Specialist/County Veterans Coordinator. Smith will head veteran recruitment, work to connect and network with veteran organizations, serve as a resource for current employees, and work closely with the Veterans Best Practices Working Group in accomplishing its goals.