November 29, 2018
Contact: Doug Bolnick, Public Information Officer, 636-949-7408
ST. CHARLES COUNTY, MO – If you’re considering a new pet for your household this holiday, the St. Charles County’s Pet Adoption Center at 4850 Mid Rivers Mall Drive is the ideal place to start the search. The Deck the Paws adoption event from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., on Saturday, Dec. 15, features animals of all ages, sizes and breeds, fun activities and discounted adoption fees on cats, kittens and rabbits. To view photos of adoptable pets, please visit sccmo.org/pets.
The Deck the Paws event offers:
- Cat and kitten adoptions for $30 (a $30 discount)
- Dog and puppy adoptions for $60
- Rabbit adoptions for $10 (a $20 discount)
- Dog/cat adoptions include a health examination, initial vaccinations, spay/neuter service and microchipping
- Gift bags for the first 30 adopted animals
- Photos with Santa
The Pet Adoption Center is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, with extended hours until 6:30 p.m. on Wednesdays and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays.
Make Plans to Welcome Home New Pets
Animals make a great addition to a family! To help with the transition, consider these tips before bringing a new pet home.
- Research the ideal pet for your home, considering your wants (type, size, breed, age, etc.), your availability and your activity level. Take time for the entire family to interact with the animal before finalizing the adoption.
- Introduce your new pet to the home slowly. Provide a quiet area where the pet can be alone to make this transition easier.
- Establish places for the food and water bowls to give the pet a familiar routine.
- “Safety proof” the home by removing potential dangers and areas of curiosity.
- Assign duties for family members that outline the care and grooming of the new pet.
Can’t Adopt, Consider a Gift
While not every home is ready to adopt a new pet this holiday season, everyone can help the Pet Adoption Center animals enjoy a treat. Deliver gifts during regular business hours. Here are a few suggestions:
- Dog and cat treats
- Dog and cat food – canned or dry
- Cat toys
- Cash or gift cards
About St. Charles County’s Division of Humane Services
The Division of Humane Services protects and enhances the quality of life for St. Charles County residents and animals. The division shelters and adopts animals, educates pet owners, provides animal control services, and investigates incidents involving animal cruelty and neglect. To learn more about services provided, to view pets available for adoption or to inquire about volunteer or donation opportunities, please call 636-949-7387 or visit www.sccmo.org/humane.