October 9, 2018
St. Charles County, Missouri – With tax season right around the corner, the office of the St. Charles County Collector of Revenue is available to help residents plan and prepare.
“We know that the end of the year is a busy time for everyone, so we want to do all we can to make the tax payment process as easy and seamless as possible,” explains Collector of Revenue Michelle McBride.
Following are reminders and information on how tax bills are prepared and distributed:
- Real estate and personal property tax bills are prepared after ALL tax rates have been certified by the Missouri State Auditor. Per state statute, this can take until Oct. 31. Tax rates are determined by the respective taxing authorities (school, city, fire districts, etc.) based on the budgetary requirements needed to fund the services provided within their jurisdictions.
- The Collector of Revenue’s office prepares real estate tax bills first, typically during the first or second week of November. Personal property tax bills are prepared shortly after. Once these bills are complete, both are available for residents at stcharlesmocollector.com to access and pay online.
- Paper bills are created and mailed after tax bills are posted online. Because real estate and personal property tax bills are merged into one bill for taxpayers, these typically take two weeks to produce.
- Real estate and personal property tax bills are generally mailed to taxpayers in mid-to late November. The state statutory deadline to mail bills is Dec. 1.
- Per state statute, real estate and personal property tax bills are delinquent if not paid/postmarked by Jan. 1. Information is available at sccmo.org/Collector about ways to pay tax bills, including the Collector of Revenue’s partial and advance payment programs.
Online Payment and e-Alerts
“More and more citizens are enjoying the convenience of paying their tax bills online,” explains McBride. “Another benefit of our online payment system is the ability to sign up for e-Alert notifications when bills are posted.”
Taxpayers who received bills for 2017 and prior can register to receive these free text and email alerts:
- Visit stcharlesmocollector.com to pull up the existing account(s). For those who do not know their Property Identifications Number (PIN), the address of the property can be entered to obtain the PIN.
- Select “View” for one of the tax bills associated with the account. When it displays, click on the e-Alert button.
- Enter email address and/or cell phone number to receive e-Alerts.
Note: Setting up an e-Alert for one email address and/or cell phone number does not prevent additional e-Alerts from being set up for that PIN. Example: If co-owners of a property or multiple members of an LLC want to be notified, they can each sign up for an e-Alert and it won’t prevent the other parties from receiving a notice.
For questions or more information about tax bills, please contact the Collector of Revenue’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 636-949-7470.
Media Contact: Mary Enger, Communications Director, 636-949-1856, or 636-443-1008, email@example.com