May 14, 2018
Contact: Doug Bolnick, Department of Public Health Public Information Officer, 636-949-7408
St. Charles County, Missouri – Glass-lined kennels and a “cattery” are just two of the many improvements recently completed at the St. Charles County Pet Adoption Center, located at 4850 Mid Rivers Mall Drive in St. Peters. The public is invited to see these exciting renovations first-hand at an Open House from 3-6 p.m., on Wednesday, June 6 at the facility.
“Providing high-quality care for the animals we host and a pleasurable environment for our guests have always been priorities for the Division of Humane Services’ staff,” Division Director Katie Willis says. “The improvements we’ve made over the past several months give us a better opportunity to provide a great experience for our animals and prospective pet parents.”
New features at the Pet Adoption Center include:
- A fully renovated dog kennel — featuring 72 new, glass-lined shelters, an upgraded sanitation system and an enhanced interaction area.
- An improved outdoor play area for dogs.
- A modern “cattery” for kittens and adult cats, with a play zone and interaction rooms.
- A public meeting and training room with space to host classes on pet care, grooming and ownership.
During the Open House, guests will have an opportunity to:
- Tour the facility.
- Win prizes by participating in an interactive contest
- Visit informational booths on animal health, grooming, pet training and more.
- Join the Pet Adoption Center’s volunteer team or become a Pet Foster Parent.
- Take advantage of a special adoption rate of $20 for all dogs or cats ages 6 months or older (discounted rate is only available during the Open House hours).
The 15,000-square foot facility provides kennel housing for dogs, cats and other adoptable pets, as well as a veterinary clinic to care for lost pets and stray animals. It features animals of many breeds, sizes and ages that are eager to join a forever home. The Pet Adoption Center team strives to collect a history of the animal, treat medical issues and assess temperament, so that these pets can make a smooth transition into their new home. Staff will help visitors select the best pet for their family, allow time for interaction before adoption, and provide suggestions on being a good pet parent.
Last year, the St. Charles County Pet Adoption Center found homes for more than 2,600 animals through adoption. The $60 adoption fee for dogs and cats includes a health examination, initial vaccinations, spay or neuter, microchipping and other services that are not always included when adopting elsewhere. The facility is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday (with extended hours until 6:30 p.m. on Wednesdays). As an added convenience, the Pet Adoption Center is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays. To view pets available for adoption, please visit www.sccmo.org/pets or stop by the facility today.
About St. Charles County’s Division of Humane Services
The Division of Humane Services protects and enhances the quality of life for St. Charles County residents and animals. To learn more about services provided, to view pets available for adoption or to inquire about volunteer or donation opportunities, please call 636-949-PETS (7387) or visit www.sccmo.org/humane.