Posted on June 21, 2017 at 10:01 AM by Doug Bolnick
GARDEN POTATO SALAD
Our June Healthy Eats recipe uses vegetables fresh from your garden, a local grocer or a trip to a local farmers market. This light, colorful and tangy side dish will be a welcome addition to your next backyard barbecue.
2 pounds, small red potatoes
½ pound fresh green beans (trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces)
2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
½ cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon dried basil, chopped
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Place saucepan on the stovetop and bring potatoes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add green beans and continue simmering for 5 more minutes.
- Drain potatoes and green beans. Rinse with cold water to stop cooking.
- Dry potatoes with a towel and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Combine potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, green onions and basil in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, oil, mustard, salt, pepper and garlic in a small bowl. Pour this dressing over the vegetables. Mix lightly to coat all vegetables.
- Cover bowl and chill for at least 1 hour. If possible, the salad will taste even better if allowed to chill for several hours (up to 1 day in advance of serving).
Recipe makes 8 servings. Each serving is 1 cup and contains:
3 grams protein
22 grams carbohydrates
2 grams fat
215 milligrams sodium
3 grams fiber