As a County Councilman, I have witnessed first-hand how County employees help build our growing community. Have you ever thought that a position with St. Charles County might be a great fit for you? It’s a wonderful team to join.
I talked with Ruth Rollins, Interim Director of the Department of Human Resources, about the opportunities available and great benefits. She said that while the County offers a wide variety of positions
, they most frequently hire for administrative support, corrections officers, dispatchers, information technology positions, and nurses. If you’re thinking about one of these careers, be sure to check the County website often.
If you know a college student, retiree or someone simply looking for temporary work, seasonal positions are available with the Collector of Revenue, Facilities Management, Highway and Parks & Recreation departments. Additionally, several departments offer paid summer internship opportunities
where students walk away with valuable skills, portfolio samples, professional contacts and networks to help them in their careers. I have three children who have graduated from college and started their careers, so I can speak from experience as a parent that internships are extremely valuable and paid internships are a rarity.
For those looking for full-time employment, Ruth says one of the top items that brings in and retains employees is the outstanding benefits
, which include:
- Excellent health and dental insurance.
- Long-term disability and optional short-term disability coverage.
- A flexible spending account for health and dependent care expenses.
- Paid time off and paid holidays, as well as bereavement leave, military leave and jury duty allowance.
- Reimbursement for tuition assistance, including books and e-books, on courses and programs that are relevant for a current position or advancement opportunities.
- An Employee Assistance Program that provides prepaid professional and confidential counseling services to County employees and their family members.
- Government discounts with mobile providers, banks, credit unions, and fitness clubs.
- A retirement package comprised of
- Missouri LAGERS (defined benefit pension plan).
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan (optional).
- 401(a) Retirement Savings with employer match to grow your retirement at a faster rate (optional).
Percentage time and temporary employees also may be eligible for benefits and/or have prorated benefits.
Finally, if you are a veteran, I have to tell you that the County welcomes you with open arms. In 2014, the County Council passed an ordinance to establish the Veterans Best Practices Working Group to foster an employment-friendly environment for those who have served in the armed forces. I was proud to vote “yes” on this bill. The group regularly recognizes employees who are veterans, works with Human Resources to help recruit those who served, and makes certain veteran employees are aware of benefits and resources.
I’ll be the first to say that St. Charles County Government employees are committed to and take pride in their work. Employees are St. Charles County Government’s biggest asset and they make it an excellent place to build a career! I hope you check out our job opportunities and help spread the word to your networks. To learn more, visit the Human Resources Department online
or call 636-949-7320.