Posted on December 13, 2017 at 8:55 AM by Doug Bolnick
HEARTY TUNA CAKES
Have fun with this easy-to-make lunch favorite that uses items you probably have on-hand right now in your pantry and refrigerator.
10 ounces chunk light tuna in water (drained and flaked)
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 green onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup plain breadcrumbs (divided into two 1/3 cup containers)
3 tablespoons olive oil
Lemon wedges (as desired for garnish and flavor)
- Mix tuna, mayonnaise, eggs, green onions, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper and 1/3 cup breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Scrape sides as needed to mix well.
- Over a non-stick sheet pan or plate, fill your favorite cookie cutter (hearts, diamonds, stars, and holiday themes work well) with the tuna cake mixture. Repeat until all mixture is used. The recipe should make 10-12 cakes.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes to allow mixture to set and flavors to meld.
- Remove cakes from refrigerator and carefully coat top and bottom with remaining breadcrumbs.
- In a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat, warm olive oil.
- Add cakes and cook for two minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm on a plate with lemon wedges, as desired.
Recipe makes approximately four servings. The serving size is three cakes:
20 grams protein
14 grams carbohydrates
22 grams fat
123 milligrams cholesterol
648 milligrams sodium
1 gram fiber