Recycle Works – West
All material brought to Recycle Works West becomes the property of St. Charles County. We reserve the right to not accept, change fees, or stop accepting any items listed at any time and without advance notice.
Please note: The Recycle Works facilities only accept payment in the form of cash and check (made payable to ST. CHARLES COUNTY GOVERNMENT).
Recycle Works West accepts the following recyclable materials:
- Aluminum - All types are accepted.
- Antifreeze - Items are accepted from St. Charles County residents only. Items must be secured in non-returnable plastic containers with no larger than 3 gallon capacity. The limit is 10 gallons per visit.
- Appliances - Washers, dryers, water heaters, trash compactors, dishwashers, microwave ovens, ranges, stoves, air conditioners, refrigerators, furnaces, and freezers are accepted. The facility does not accept gas powered / ammonia-type refrigerators. Please deliver refrigerators, air conditioners, and freezers intact. Freon is removed by certified technicians and collected on-site. St. Charles County Ordinance 15-034 requires a $15 per appliance collection fee, with a limit of 5 items accepted, and a $15 surcharge for devices with more than 1 compressor. Please ask the on-site attendant for a receipt.
- Batteries - Rechargeable batteries and intact, used automotive batteries are accepted. Alkaline batteries are not accepted.
- Corrugated Cardboard and Mixed Paper / Fiber - Accepted items include corrugated cardboard and newspaper, magazines, junk mail, envelopes, colored paper, manila envelopes, white office paper, message slips, computer paper, cereal boxes, etc. Material may be mixed. Telephone books are accepted as well and may be mixed with other paper/fiber. Please note: Shredded paper will only be accepted if it is bulk packed in brown paper bags. Loose shredded paper and paper bundled in plastic bags will not be accepted.
- Cartridges - Copier toner cartridges, computer printer ink jet cartridges, and fax cartridges are accepted.
- Clothing and Textiles - Used socks, hats, shoes, belts, purses, backpacks, t-shirts, coats, jackets, clothing, draperies, towels, sheets, and bedspreads are accepted.
- Cooking Oil - Cooking Oil must be secured in a non-returnable, lidded container. Liquid only, no grease or solid fats will be accepted.
- Glass - Brown, clear and mixed color glass are accepted. No sheet glass or window glass is accepted.
- Microwave Ovens - St. Charles County Ordinance 15-034 requires a per unit collection fee of $5 per microwave oven.
- Motor Oil and Oil Filters - Items must be packaged in non-returnable, plastic containers no larger than 2 gallon capacity. There is a limit of 25 quarts accepted per visit. Oil and transmission fluid may be mixed. Please read below for information on the Household Hazardous Waste program.
- Plastic - All plastics except PVC and vinyl siding are accepted. Larger plastics, such as large plastic toys and play houses, are accepted if they are cut into smaller pieces. The facility does not accept individual plastic bags.
- Sealed Tanks - when completely emptied of gas or liquid and cut in half, empty tanks are accepted.
- Transmission and Hydraulic Fluid - Accepted from individuals only (no commercial organizations). Material must be placed in a non-returnable, plastic container with no larger than 2 -gallon capacity. A limit of 25 quarts per visit is allowed. Please read below for information on the Household Hazardous Waste program.
St. Charles County Ordinance 15-034 requires a per unit collection fee for potentially hazardous materials. The following items are accepted:
- Entire computer system (CPU, Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse, etc.) - $10
- CPU Only - $5
- Monitors (19" or Smaller) - $10
- Monitors (20" or Greater) - $15
- Flat Screen Monitors (Any Size) - $5
- Keyboard - No Charge
- Mouse - No Charge
- Fax Machine - No Charge
- Printers (0-25 pounds) - No Charge
- Printers (26 pounds or more) - $10
- Scanners - No Charge
- Copiers (desktop) - $10
- Copiers (floor models) - $0.50 per pound
- Laptops - No Charge
- Typewriters - No Charge
St. Charles County Ordinance 15-034 requires a per unit collection fee for potentially hazardous materials. Both Recycle Works Centers accept any type of electronic and/or circuit board. The following items are accepted:
- Cellular Phones / Equipment Number - No Charge
- Televisions (19” or Smaller) - $15
- Televisions (20-29”) - $20
- Televisions (30” and larger) - $25
- Televisions (Flat Screens, any size) - $15
- DVD Players - No Charge
- VCRs - No Charge
- Stereos - No Charge
- Clock Radios - No Charge
- Video game systems - No Charge
- Christmas Light Strands - No Charge
- Charging or Extension Cords - No Charge
Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs)
We accept up to 5 fluorescent bulbs per day from St. Charles County residents only at no charge. Additional bulbs may be recycled by residents at the rates listed below. Commercial businesses and organizations will be charged the rates below:
- Fluorescent Tubes (straight) - $0.25 per foot
- U-tube, circular, compact fluorescent - $0.50 each
- HID, mercury, halide, sodium - $1.50 each
- Shatter-shield, Power Groove - $1.50 each
- Incandescent, quartz, halogen - $0.50 each
- Ultraviolet, arc lamps - $3 each
Please note: Fluorescent bulbs presented for recycling may be refused at the discretion of the facility. Do not tape light bulbs. Total charges for commercial establishments dropping off bulbs will be rounded up to the next whole dollar. If you accidentally break a CFL or regular fluorescent bulb, please follow these clean-up and disposal steps from the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.
Hazardous Household Waste
Recycle Works West accepts hazardous waste materials* from St. Charles County residents throughout the year. Collection hours are: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Tuesday through Friday - and the last Saturday of the month. The following items are accepted from St. Charles County residents only: aerosols, antifreeze, batteries, brake fluid, poison, gas/fuel, herbicides, oil/filters, oil-based paint/stain (PLEASE NOTE - we do not accept latex, or water-based, paint), pesticides, transmission fluid, pool chemicals, sealants, solvents, thermometers, and thermostats. Cost is $25 for total items weighing up to 50 pounds. Any deliveries over 50 pounds is charged a supplemental fee of $1 per pound. For more information on safely disposing Hazardous Household Waste, please visit the Missouri Department of Natural Resources website.
*HHW will be accepted from residential use only; no commercial or agricultural use products will be accepted.
To ensure safety, please follow the following precautions when bringing hazardous materials to Recycle Works West:
- Make certain that the waste is properly packed, and do not mix with other materials.
- Wherever possible, leave the materials in their original containers. Items that are not in their original packaging should be clearly labeled with their contents. Mixed waste in plastic bags will not be accepted.
- Be sure the lid is securely attached.
- Place the material inside a box that is lined with newspaper (filling gaps with additional crumpled newspaper will help prevent spills during transport).
- Place the filled box in the trunk of your vehicle while transporting.
- Upon arrival at the facility, please remain in your vehicle until assisted.
These items are not accepted:
- Alkaline Batteries
- Asbestos Material (PDF)
- Business / Government Waste
- Explosives / Ammunition
- Gas-powered / Ammonia-based refrigerators
- Latex-Based Paints
- Mattresses and Box Springs
- Medical Waste
- Plastic Bags
- Polystyrene (Styrofoam)
- Pressurized Gas Tanks (see section above on sealed tanks)
- R-600a Freon
- Radioactive Waste
- Smoke Detectors