Latest News 4.16.20: Notary Information
Due to COVID-19, Notary commissions through the Registrar are by appointment only. Please call 636-949-7560 to make an appointment. Learn more about Notary commissions.
The Registrar issues Notary Commissions for bonded, qualified applicants who have been approved to act as a Notary Public by the Missouri Secretary of State’s Office.
Becoming a Notary Public
- Fill out a Notary Public application and complete the Notary Public Training Course. These items are available on the Missouri Secretary of State’s website, or you may visit the Office of the County Registrar to receive a Missouri Notary Handbook.
- Upon receiving the letter from the Secretary of State confirming the commission, the applicant must apply for a $10,000 Notary Surety Bond. There are several different ways to obtain this bond:
- After receiving your letter from the Secretary of State confirming the commission, the applicant or applicant’s employer/company will apply for the bond. The applicant must provide the employer with a copy of the letter confirming the commission.
- The applicant may contact one of the many bonding companies who have sent information to the applicant upon filing to become a Notary Public. If the application is submitted in this manner, the bonding company must have the letter from the Secretary of State’s office to issue the bond. Typically, the applicant may fax the bonding company a copy of the Secretary of State’s letter. The Secretary of State’s office will not send this information to the bonding company.
- Upon receipt of the bond, please contact the Office of the County Registrar at 636-949-7560 to confirm the commission has been received by the office.
- Once you have received confirmation your commission has been received, please bring the following documents to the Office of the County Registrar located at 201 N. Second St., Room 541, St. Charles, MO 63301.
- $10,000 Notary Surety Bond
- Letter from the Secretary of State’s office confirming the commission is at the Registrar’s office
- A $5 fee (payable by cash or check) for recording the Notary Commission and administering the Oath of Office. An additional fee is incurred if using a credit card. Checks may be made payable to St. Charles County.