Welcome! Before You Visit Our Offices…
For further questions, call our department at 636-949-7505. Thank you.
The Recorder of Deeds has a representative in the lobby behind a plexiglass shield in a shared space when needed. Due to processing time, marriage licenses will not be issued after 4:30 p.m.
Apply for a Marriage License
- Complete the application online no more than 30 days before the ceremony.
- Both applicants must appear together at the Recorder of Deeds Office, located in the St. Charles County Administration Building at 201 N. Second St., St. Charles, MO 63301.
- Marriage licenses are issued on a first come, first served basis; no appointments are taken.
- Due to processing time, marriage licenses will not be issued after 4:30 p.m. Please plan accordingly.
- The ceremony must be performed within 30 days in the state of Missouri beginning from the date of issuance of the marriage license.
- Applicants must present a valid government-issued photo ID and know their Social Security number.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age to marry without parental consent. (RSMO 451.090)
- A marriage license shall not be issued to any applicant who is 21 years of age if the other party is less than 18 years of age. (RSMO 451.090)
- Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age may obtain a license with the consent of a parent or legal guardian. Consent must be given in person at the time of application with proper identification. (RSMO 451.090) If parents are divorced, the consenting parent must provide court papers to prove custody. An additional fee must be paid at the time of application for each parental consent.
- Applicants over the age of 18, who have a legal guardian, may obtain a license with the consent of their legal guardian. Consent must be given in person at the time of application with proper identification.
- Applicants under 16 years of age shall not apply or obtain a marriage license. (RSMO 451.090)
- Applicants shall not currently be married. (RSMO 451.030)
- Applicants, if previously married, shall provide the month and year that the last marriage ended. (RSMO 451.040)
- Applicants shall not be related by blood through and including first cousins. (RSMO 451.020)
- Foreign applicants must present their valid government-issued photo ID along with a certified English translation of all non-English documentation used. If a translator is needed, an appointment with our office must be made in advance.
- Applicants shall be present to complete the application process with the exception of incarcerated, active military, and persons who qualify under the American Disabilities Act. An Affidavit of Absent Applicant (PDF) is available for such qualifying parties and shall be presented to the Recorder of Deeds prior to issuance of the marriage license. (RSMO 451.040)
Fees and Payment Information
The total cost of the marriage license and certified copy is $57 ($47 for marriage license, $9 for certified copy, $1 for postage). Payment is due in full at time of license issuance. Cash or credit card is accepted (additional convenience fee for Visa or Mastercard). Personal checks are not accepted.
Return and Recordation of Marriage
After the marriage license is issued, the applicants leave with the license, which must be signed by an officiant and two witnesses on the day of the ceremony. A self-addressed, stamped envelope is provided for the officiant to mail the completed license back to the Recorder of Deeds office. The person performing the ceremony is required by law to return the completed license within 15 days of the ceremony per RSMo 451.080. Once returned, staff then records the license and a certified copy and keepsake version are mailed to the couple.
Lost, Destroyed or Unused Marriage License
A lost or destroyed marriage license can be replaced with the original issuance date for $10 in the Recorder of Deeds Office. If a marriage license is unused, it must be marked "unused" and returned to the Office per RSMo 451.130.
- Online Marriage License Application
- How to Complete the St. Charles County Marriage License (PDF)
- Schedule a marriage ceremony with the Circuit Clerk by calling 636-949-7380.
- Officiant Requirements (RSMo 451.1)
- Search for a St. Charles County Marriage License
- To request a certified copy of a marriage license, call 636-949-7509.
- Change your name with Social Security
- Request Birth Certificate or Passport from the Public Health Department: 636-949-7558
- Request a Divorce Decree by email from the Circuit Clerk