Latest News 3.27.20
Update 11:20 a.m., 3.27.20: Recorder of Deeds Office Closed to the Public, Marriage License Information
Please note - Effective March 24, 2020, St Charles County Recorder of Deeds will be closed to the public to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19 virus. All contact and business must be conducted by phone, email, mail or e-Recording.
Starting Tuesday, March 31, Marriage License issuance will temporarily be administered by appointment only from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Wednesdays and Fridays outside the Administration Building at 201 N. Second St., St Charles, MO 63301. To make an appointment and apply for a marriage license, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and attach a completed marriage license information sheet (PDF) (Instructions: First, download and save the form to your desktop. Complete the form, save, and attach to the email). Please note – These appointments are for marriage licenses ONLY. Marriage ceremonies CANNOT be performed by the Recorder of Deeds. For questions, please email the Recorder of Deeds at email@example.com. Thank you.
Documents can be dropped off to record in the Assessor/Collector drop-off box in front of the Administration Building at 201 N. Second street in St. Charles. To record, the office needs a self-addressed, stamped envelope to return the document and will accept business check or attach a note with a phone number to be called for credit card.
Apply for a Marriage License
Both applicants must appeartogether at the Recorder of Deeds Office, located in the St. Charles County Administration Building at 201 N. Second St., St. Charles, MO 63301.
Due to the high volume of marriage license applications, please submit the Marriage License Information Formbefore visiting our office. This will cut down the number of couples in our wait area and lower your wait time. Note: This form has to be completed on a computer and not on a mobile device. You must download the form to the desktop of your computer, fill it out, save it, and then click the SUBMIT button at the bottom to send it in.
The Marriage License application process takes a MINIMUM of 15-20 minutes. Please plan accordingly; the office is open 8 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday–Friday, excluding holidays.
Take note of the following qualifications:
- The ceremony must be performed within 30 days in the state of Missouri beginning from the date of issuance of the marriage license.
- Both applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
- No applicant age 21 or older may marry anyone under age 18.
- Applicants may not be related to each other through and including first cousins.
- Applicants must present a valid government-issued photo ID and know their Social Security number.
- If an applicant is age 16 or 17, a certified birth certificate must be provided and the applicant must be accompanied by a parent to give consent to their application. If parents are divorced, the consenting parent must provide court papers to prove custody. An additional fee must be paid at the time of application for each parental consent.
- Previously married applicants must provide date of divorce decree.
- Foreign applicants must present their valid government-issued photo ID along with a certified English translation of all non-English documentation used. If a translator is needed, an appointment with our office must be made in advance.
- If either applicant is unable to appear in the Recorder of Deeds Office to apply due to military service, ADA qualifying disability or incarceration, an Affidavit of Absent Applicant (PDF) may be used.
- Applicants may pre-order a certified copy of their marriage license at time of license issuance.
Return and Recordation of Marriage
The person performing the ceremony is required by law to return the completed license to the St. Charles County Recorder of Deeds Office within 15 days of the ceremony per RSMo 451.080.
Lost, Destroyed or Unused Marriage License
A lost or destroyed marriage license can be replaced with the original issuance date for $2 in the Recorder of Deeds Office. If a marriage license is unused, it must be marked "unused" and returned to the Office per RSMo 451.130.
- Officiant Requirements (RSMo 451.1)
- Marriage License Issuance: 636-949-7506
- Obtain a Copy of a Marriage License: 636-949-7509
- Schedule a Civil Ceremony with the St. Charles County Circuit Court: 636-949-7380
- Birth Certificate or Passport Issuance: 636-949-7558
- Social Security
- Search Marriage License Records