Do you have knowledge of fraud, waste or abuse of county resources and would you like to report it to the County Auditor? You can report fraud either online or through our confidential hotline.
The following are three conditions present when fraud occurs:
- Opportunity - Circumstances can exist that allow fraud. For example, there could be an absence of controls, ineffective controls or the ability to override controls that can provide an opportunity for fraud to be perpetrated.
- Rationalization / Attitude - Those involved in a fraud rationalize a fraudulent act as being consistent with their personal code of ethics. Some individuals possess an attitude, character or set of ethical values that allows them to knowingly and intentionally commit a dishonest act.
- Incentive / Pressure - Management or other employees may have an incentive or be under pressure, which provides a motivation to commit fraud.
The confidential hotline provides an avenue for citizens, including government employees, to report suspected financial improprieties, waste of public funds or resources, and/or constructive suggestions for improving county government. The hotline is for reporting issues involving St. Charles County Government operations, and does not investigate matters related to other political subdivisions or local businesses. It is not to be used for general complaints or personal issues.
The confidential hotline is operated by the County Auditor's Office, and access to the messages is limited to individuals specifically authorized by the County Auditor. Calls to the confidential hotline are anonymous; caller ID is not used. If you do desire to provide your name and contact information, the County Auditor's Office will make every effort to keep this information confidential.
Information to Provide When Calling
When contacting us using the confidential hotline, please be as specific as possible. You should have the following information available when you call:
- Circumstances of the incident
- The county department and subjects involved.
- Identify any evidence that is available, and any credible witnesses.
- Pleases provide any dates, times, names and/or places available.
How to Contact the Hotline
The confidential hotline is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, by email or by calling 636-949-7526.