While the 2020 United States Census is conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau, states and counties—including St. Charles County—play an important role in its success.
Why is the Census so important? The U.S. Constitution mandates that the country take a census of the population every 10 years to count every living person in the U.S. Participation in the Census is required by law. First conducted in 1790, Census results are used to determine the number of congressional seats for each state and distribute more than $675 billion in federal funds, grants and other support to states, counties and communities for schools, hospitals, roads, public works and other vital programs.
Individuals can complete the Census by mail or phone, and, for the first time in 2020, will have the option of completing it online. Census staff also will go door-to-door in communities, distributing forms.
Revised Census Timeline
- Mid-March-Oct. 31: Online, phone, and mailed self-responses continue through the data collection process.
- April 2-Sept. 3: Census takers work with administrators at colleges, senior centers, prisons, and other facilities that house large groups of people to make sure everyone is counted.
- Aug. 11-Oct. 31: Census takers interview households that haven’t responded to the 2020 Census in person to help make sure everyone is counted.
- April 30, 2021: The Census Bureau delivers apportionment counts to the President as required by law. The President will then deliver apportionment counts to Congress within 14 days of receipt.
- July 31, 2021: By law, the Census Bureau delivers the local counts each state needs to complete legislative redistricting.
- Missouri 2020 Census Website
- Fact Sheets
- Data Visualizations
- Infographics (PDF)
- Census Careers
- Important Dates
- Questions Asked
- Who to Count
- Ways to Respond
- Response Outreach Area Mapper (ROAM)
- Census Takers in Your Neighborhood
- Avoiding Fraud and Scams
- Sample Questionnaire (PDF)
The Census Bureau is hiring Census Takers for the 2020 Census. Census positions provide the perfect opportunity to earn extra income while helping your community. Learn more and apply online.