Home Occupation Permit

How Do I Apply?

Please visit the Land Development & Zoning Applications Section of our Citizenserve Citizen Access Portal.

When is a Home Occupation Permit Required?

For residents to operate a business out of the home in which they reside in unincorporated county. Home occupations must comply with Section 405.495 of the Unified Development Ordinance. To insure that business use of the residence remains incidental and secondary to use of the home as a residence, business use may occupy no more than 25% of the total floor area of the residence, and no more than 500 square feet of total floor area combined in all structures on the property.

Some home occupations classified as retail, wholesale trade, or manufacturing will additionally require a Merchant and Manufacturer License issued by the County Finance Department. Contact email Finance or 636-949-7465.

For business licensing and registration by the State of Missouri, contact the Missouri Department of Revenue.


Please contact the St. Charles County Planning and Zoning Division at 636-949-7335 or Email Planning & Zoning Division.