Directional and Wayfinding Signs Permit

St. Charles County manages a program to provide off-site directional and wayfinding signage within designated corridors to direct travelers to cultural and historic sites; recreational and educational facilities; and ferries and airports. Directional signs (naming up to eight entities) and wayfinding signs (naming one entity) can be located either on private property or within County right-of-way. Such signs when located on private property typically require an annual rent payment. St. Charles County contracts to have these signs designed, manufactured, installed, and maintained at cost to the entities advertised on the signs.

How Do I Apply?

Please visit the Land Development & Zoning Applications section of the Citizenserve Citizen Access Portal.

What Will I Need to Submit?

  • The names of the businesses or other entities to be listed on the sign, as well as contact information for each business
  • Proposed location (including whether on private property or in County right-of-way)
  • Property owner name and contact information
  • a detailed site plan or a computer generated map indicating the proposed location of the sign with distance measurements to property lines, right-of-way lines, intersections, pavement edges, other structures, etc.


St. Charles County has the entities advertised share in the cost to design, manufacture, install, and maintain the sign. Additionally, for signs on private property, the County will collect fees to lease the ground from the property owner.