Conditional Use Permit

How Do I Apply?

Please visit the Land Development & Zoning Applications Section of our online Citizenserve Citizen Access Portal.

When is a Conditional Use Permit Required?

Within each zoning district, the Unified Development Ordinance specifies a range of land uses which the County’s zoning standards allow by right, as well as a list of more restrictive conditional uses, any of which must instead be reviewed by the Planning and Zoning Commission, and approved by the County Council, on a case-by-case basis. In approving a conditional use, the County Council may impose specific requirements to insure that the use will not injure the use and enjoyment of nearby properties nor substantially diminish or impair property values.

Conditional Use Permit (CUP) Application and Approval Process & Fee Info

The steps for approval of a conditional use permit include:

  • Applicant consults with Planning & Zoning Division staff. (Highly recommended)
  • Complete application submitted, typically 4 to 8 weeks before the public hearing (see Planning & Zoning Commission for deadlines)
  • County staff processes application. This includes notifying the owners of property within 500 feet of the property, posting a sign on the property, and notifying pertinent public agencies.
  • Planning and Zoning Commission conducts public hearing and votes on a recommendation concerning the application. The Commission meets the third Wednesday of each month.
  • County Council approves or denies the application, with or without conditions.

Complete applications must include:

  • Payment of the fee specified in Section 425.020.B of the Unified Development Ordinance; and
  • The owner(s) of the property must sign the application, and have their signature(s) notarized, or provide a notarized affidavit to the effect that the person making application is authorized to do so; and
  • A legal description of the tract; and
  • A deed to the property or a recent certificate of title showing ownership; and
  • A preliminary site plan showing the intended use of the property and any proposed improvements. If your project includes new construction (i.e. buildings, building additions, parking lots or parking lot expansions, the following information must be provided on your site plan.  


If you have any questions, please contact the St. Charles County Planning and Zoning Division at 636-949-7335.