Flood Alerts, News, Road & Other Closures 

This page is updated when there are flood alerts, news and other urgent information, road closures and other accessibility issues due to flooding that are reported to/confirmed by Regional Emergency Management. 

The listing of closures may not be comprehensive, especially during a large flood and/or fast-changing rain and flash-flood situation. Drivers are always encouraged to exercise caution in flood-prone areas near rivers and creeks - turn around, don't drown!

as of 9:13 a.m., Dec. 5, 2019
This page is updated as additional closings/issues are reported, but the listings may not be comprehensive due to fast-changing flood conditions.

Flooded Roads and Subdivisions (as of 9:13 a.m., Dec. 5, 2019)

  • Adams Street (Portage des Sioux) at Highway 94
  • Mertz Road at Highway H and Ell Road - Passable

St. Charles County Parks Closures

  • Bangert Island

Additional Alerts and News

Counseling Available for Those Affected by Flooding, Storms (Aug. 14, 2019)

The state of Missouri has received federal funding for a program that provides counseling for residents feeling stressed or overwhelmed because of the April 29-July 5 storms and flooding.

The Show Me Hope program is open to individuals and families who live in the following 20 counties designated for federal disaster assistance: Andrew, Atchison, Boone, Buchanan, Carroll, Chariton, Cole, Greene, Holt, Jackson, Jasper, Lafayette, Lincoln, Livingston, Miller, Osage, Pike, Platte, Pulaski, and St. Charles. 

Crisis counselors in the 20 counties are available to connect residents with local mental health resources. All counseling provided is free and confidential.

Show Me Hope provider for St. Charles County:
Compass Health: 844-853-8937

A separate counseling service is open to any Missouri resident who is experiencing stress or emotional strain from disasters. Contact the disaster distress helpline 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 800-985-5990. You can also send the text message “TalkWithUs” to 66746.

Free Legal Assistance Available to Eligible Missourians (July 30, 2019)

Free legal assistance is available to Missourians who need help with disaster-related issues such as home repair contracts and contractors; life, medical and property insurance claims; FEMA applications and appealing FEMA decisions. 

Missouri residents can call 800-829-4128 to leave a message about legal issues arising from recently sustained damage from severe storms, flooding and tornadoes that occurred April 29–July 5. 

Disagreements often result after a disaster. Lawyers have the training and skills to help navigate those issues. Legal issues may include help securing other government benefits available to Missourians as well as counseling on landlord-tenant issues and mortgage foreclosures.

Disaster-related legal assistance can also include:

  • Replacement of wills and other important legal documents lost or destroyed in the disaster.
  • Assistance with consumer protection issues such as price gouging and avoiding contractor scams in the rebuilding process.

Consultations with attorneys are confidential. View the official FEMA news release.

Deadlines for Flood Assistance (June 18, 2019)

The SBA Economic Injury for Business Applications deadline is April 9, 2020.

Damage Assessment Information (July 10, 2019)

A Detailed Damage Assessment inspection is required for all structures damaged by the flood and is the first step to become eligible for federal assistance (more info below). Also, this inspection can be helpful for insurance claims. If your property has been affected by flooding, please call 636-949-7345, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday–Friday, once the property is safely accessible to schedule a damage assessment.

Application for Removal of Residential Improvements (June 25, 2019)

Homeowners whose property is destroyed by flooding can apply to have their real estate assessment modified through the St. Charles County Assessor’s office. The property must be inspected and determined to be “unsafe” and uninhabitable by the St. Charles County Division of Building and Code Enforcement

Damage Assessment Process, Obtaining Building Permits and Hiring Contractors (June 22, 2019)

St. Charles County's Division of Building and Code Enforcement is conducting inspections in areas affected by flooding. If you live in one of these areas, be sure to ask for proper agency identification from anyone who comes by to inspect your property.

An Initial Damage Assessment determines if unsafe conditions exist and allows the County to determine the amount of damage overall. Letters will be sent for every structure where damage is noted. The Detailed Damage Assessment occurs next and provides a comprehensive list of concerns on the property. These inspections are required by FEMA and determine eligibility for relief funding that may become available if a Federal Disaster Declaration is made by the President of the United States. More damage assessment info.

If your property needs inspection and the water is low enough that staff members can safely access all structures, please contact the Division of Building and Code Enforcement at 636-949-7345 or bce@sccmo.org. An adult over the age of 18 needs to be present during the inspection.

Please note that St. Charles County ordinances require a building permit to repair flood-damaged structures regardless of the type of work. Examples that require a building permit include drywall replacement, electrical work, siding replacement, roofing, door replacement, flooring, etc.

Electrical, mechanical and plumbing work requires contractors licensed with St. Charles County Government. The Division of Building and Code Enforcement has the following recommendations when hiring a contractor to ensure safety and quality:

  • Ask family and friends for recommendations
  • Always get three bids before hiring
  • Obtain a contract and make clear expectations of work
  • Obtain the building permit (when required) yourself or require a copy of the building permit prior to construction
  • Do not pay upfront—instead, pay at certain milestones as work is completed
  • When complete, obtain a mechanic’s lien waiver.
  • Keep a copy of all receipts, invoices, and other documents.