Certificate of Nonassessment (Tax Waiver)

Do I Need a Certificate of Nonassessment (Tax Waiver)?

View a PDF of steps to determine if you need a Certificate of Nonassessment.

A Certificate of Personal Property Nonassessment indicates that according to St. Charles County assessment records, there are no personal property taxes due for a specific person, business, or corporation for the specified tax year. A Certificate of Personal Property Nonassessment is required by the Missouri Department of Revenue to license motor vehicles or to obtain a business license by some municipalities within the county.

A Certificate of Personal Property Nonassessment may be obtained at the Assessor's Office if you did not own a vehicle in St. Charles County on January 1 of the required tax year. The Assessor's Office is located at 201 N. Second St., St. Charles, MO 63301.

First Time Personal Property Owners

You will be required to present one of the following documents:
  • Certificate of Title (properly signed over to you with seller's signature, purchaser's signature and date of sale)
  • Application for Missouri Title and License (DOR Form 108)
  • Bill of Sale signed by both seller and purchaser with complete vehicle description (including VIN) and the date of sale (DOR Form 1957)

New Missouri Residents

You will be required to present the title or current out of state registration for your vehicle(s).

New St. Charles County Residents From Another Missouri County

If you did not reside in St. Charles County on January 1 of the required tax year, you will need to obtain your Certificate of Nonassessment from the appropriate county. Please contact your former County Assessor's Office for information.

Military Personnel

Certificates of Personal Property Nonassessment are no longer issued for military personnel. If your permanent home of record is not Missouri, you will register your vehicles by presenting a current Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) showing the current state of residency at any Missouri Department of Revenue License Office.

Active Duty military personnel, who maintain Missouri as their permanent home of record, and whose LES shows that state taxes are paid to Missouri, are responsible for paying personal property taxes in this state. You will be asked to complete the appropriate assessment forms and pay taxes for any property owned on January 1 of the tax year.

Leased Vehicles

You will be required to present a copy of your lease agreement or vehicle registration renewal notice. You may submit your documentation in person, via fax to 636-949-7434, or by email. When submitting via fax or email, please include your mailing address and physical address (if different).

Requirement Questions

If you have further questions about the requirements for obtaining a Certificate of Personal Property Nonassessment, please call our office at 636-949-7420.


Certificates of Personal Property Non-Assessment are signed and issued by the Collector of Revenue's Office after the Assessor's Office verifies the required documentation. You may pick up the final document at the Collector of Revenue's office or they will mail it to your home address.

For further information about titling your vehicle in the State of Missouri, please see the following Missouri Department of Revenue website.